The Solution Space e-Track Programme, based at the University of Cape Town, in partnership with the MTN Group is a three-part, new-venture acceleration and capacity building programme for high impact individuals.
“The programme is a key MTN initiative to help scale promising ideas / teams in the Digital and Mobile Financial Services space in order to create and stimulate an ecosystem leveraging various MTN platforms. It also aims to identify and attract top talent,” explains Eero Tarjanne, General Manager: Ecosystem Development at MTN Group.
With a high-touch scale-up process, the programme is designed to support teams build scalable businesses with international potential. Individual participants can either explore their own business idea or join an existing venture.
The first phase of the programme involved a pre-selection process which included the submission of pitches by shortlisted businesses, culminating in the second phase of the programme – the Venture Exploitation Programme. The programme is an intense 12-week journey that aims to accelerate the development of a venture. This is done by building traction through a high touch scale-up process that aims to concretise the product and secure customer buy-in.
Commenting on the initiative, David Gilarranz, CEO, MTN Digital, says: “Innovative ideas and technology disruption are the way of the future and MTN is pleased to be at the forefront of helping to pioneer solutions that impact and shape the future of the continent”.
After a rigorous selection process, these are the scaleups that were selected:
- Discreet security-enabled panic button card, Contego Protego
- ZarGa, a mobile remittance payment platform
- Online beauty and wellness service platform Prim-U
- Lalela, a mobile device audiometer
- AskCicero, an automated legal consultancy
- A visual interactive learning kit called Visar
- GreenED, an online education platform for sustainable built environment
- An online conceptual learning platform for high school pupils called SameStart
- DreamFactory Foundation which provides an educational programme for youth to drive entrepreneurial development and employment opportunities.
“We are excited to welcome a new cohort with high impact ventures,” concludes Mikael Samuelsson, Director of the Solution Space.
The new cohort started the 12-week Venture Exploitation Programme on Monday, 11 November 2019. For more information about the businesses, please contact Programme Manager, Shiela Yabo on +27 (0)21 406 1430 or email@example.com.