Time: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
LocationLiberty Regional Office Cape Town
Women’s Entrepreneurship Day (WED), celebrated globally on 19 November each year, is a UN-recognized day on which the work of women entrepreneurs is observed and discussed. Founded by businesswoman and philanthropist Wendy Diamond, WED was launched in 2014 in New York City at the United Nations. The movement has since grown year on year and is currently celebrated in 144 countries.
For further information on WED, please visit www.womenseday.org.
Through a network of distinguished ambassadors, WED is committed to:
- Raising awareness about the unique experiences of female business-owners.
- Engaging private sector leaders, government officials and civil society to find solutions in the critical areas of business venture funding, skills development and policy creation.
- Celebrating the unwavering positives that women-led businesses bring to the global economy.
- Encouraging greater interaction and opportunities for female industrialists to learn from and work with one another.
The movement has rallied high-profile supporters representing excellence in every field, including:
- Andrea Kerzner (Director: Kerzner International, Founder: Lalela Foundation)
- Bobbi Brown (Founder: Bobbi Brown Cosmetics)
- Randi Zuckerberg (Founder and CEO: Zuckerberg Media, New York Times Bestselling Author: Dot Complicated and DOT)
- Tamara Mellon (Founder: Jimmy Choo)
- Sandy Lerner (Co-Founder: Cisco Systems)
- Leona Lewis (Grammy Nominated, British Singer/Songwriter).
WED IN AFRICA AND SOUTH AFRICA
Led by Johannesburg-based Nola Mashaba, Head of Corporate Communications and PR at ABN (CNBC Africa & Forbes Africa), WED also has volunteer Ambassadors across the African continent who help to drive the movement in their countries by collaborating with stakeholders in the private as well as public sector.
JOIN IN: WED CAPE TOWN LAUNCH 2017
The Cape Town Chapter launches for the first time in 2017.
Date: Tuesday, 05 December 2017
Venue: Liberty Regional Office Cape Town, The Estuary Precinct Century Boulevard, Century City Cape Town.
The session will bring together inspirational and successful women entrepreneurs to share, inspire and connect with the next generation of great women-led start-ups. This session will include a lead speaker and a panel discussion comprised of successful local female business owners, who will share how they feel policy makers, the private sector, civil society and indeed the public could help to uplift women in business. The media, key government representatives and business industry association stakeholders will also be invited to the event.
The full event program can be found below.
|AGENDA: WOMEN ENTREPRENEURSHIP DAY 2017 – CAPE TOWN
DATE: 05 DECEMBER 2017
TIME: 9AM – 11AM
|09:00 – 09:10||Introduction of Women’s Entrepreneurship Day & Welcome|
|09:15 – 09:40||The state of entrepreneurship for women in Cape Town.
· What is the typical profile of local businesswomen: i.e. location, age, level of education, type of business and survival rate?
· What are the challenges faced by women who run their own businesses?
|09:45 – 09:55||What are the unique risks faced by local female entrepreneurs?|
|10:00 – 10:20||What must South Africa do to really support female entrepreneurs?|
|10:30 – 11:00||Panel: What can current and prospective clients do to support women in business, day-to-day?|
To attend the launch, please register here. Space is limited.
To host your own WED celebration or for any further questions, please contact Nasheeta at firstname.lastname@example.org