Date/TimeDate: 20/03/2017 - 21/03/2017
Time: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
For the past month Grade 10 girls all over the city have been learning the Power of Coding, at their schools, at technology companies and at partnering sites – they have learnt and laughed their way through a fun coding project and problem-solving challenge.
The series of workshops launched with a sentimental bang at the first school Code for Cape Town ever partnered with, the Centre of Science and Technology (COSAT) in Khayelitsha. And since then school groups have attended workshops at:
– major e-commerce companies, Takealot and Amazon,
– the US Consulate’s American Corner in Cape Town Central Library,
– the Cape Innovation and Technology Initiative’s Khayelitsha hub, Bandwidth Barn,
– the Cape Town Science Centre in Observatory,
– as well as in schools’ very own computer labs.
Power of Coding is a three-hour workshop aimed at introducing girls properly to what web development is and to the many opportunities there are for women in the technology industry; so that young women can make an informed decision as to whether this is a skill and possible career path they’d like to pursue further.
The workshop will be running for the remainder of March, before the optional follow-up workshop, Intro to Coding, takes place in the April holidays. To book a workshop for your school or a ticket for an individual contact email@example.com / 021-685-0991.