Time: 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
LocationSandton Convention Centre
HiiL is delighted to invite you to the Innovating Justice Challenge Regional Finals for Southern Africa 2018, which takes place in Johannesburg on the 4th of September 2018!
This event will highlight this year’s semi-finalists from the HiiL Innovating Justice Challenge.
These justice start-ups were carefully selected from more than 400 candidates from all over globe. During the Conference, the entrepreneurs will pitch their justice innovation, after which the best innovation will be selected by a jury composed of experts in law, business, and justice. The event will find one startup to receive 5000 EUR (±75000 ZAR) and enter the HiiL Justice Accelerator’s acceleration track.
The Innovating Justice Conference will have keynote addresses followed by pitches and interactive working sessions that bring together the different worlds of entrepreneurship, investment, civil society, law and justice, and academia.
Please visit this page or our website for updates about the event! More information about HiiL’s Accelerator programme and other Conferences can also be found on our website.
Questions about tickets and the event can also be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you at our Innovating Justice Conference!
Programme (subject to changes)
17:00: Welcome by HiiL
17:15: Keynote: Tony Pillay, Acting CEO Law Society of South Africa
17:35: Innovators pitch for the Innovating Justice Challenge Final
Tony Pillay, Acting CEO Law Society of South Africa
Charmika Samaradiwakera Wijesundara – Wits University School of Law
Nicci Stewart, The Y Project
Tiyani Majoko, Lawgistics Legal Consultants
19:10: Keynote: Wenzile Madonsela Msimanga, Chief Ambassador, Thuma Foundation
19:25: Panel discussion: Sustainable access to justice – How do we fund it?
Wenzile Madonsela Msimanga, Chief Ambassador, Thuma Foundation
Darryl Bernstein – Partner, Baker McKenzie
Nerushka Bowan – Emerging technology law specialist
Moderator: Jeff Yu-Jen Chen – GIBS
19:50 – Winners announced
20:00 – Network & drinks
The finalists are..
- Epoq Legal (Pty) Ltd: Epoq Legal (Pty) Ltd is an online (or offline) real-time legal document automation, designed for everyday people. It includes help, guidance and examples throughout the process including multiple workflows.
- Baobab.law: Baobob is a platform which enables lawyers to create engaging video-based tutorials, to empower people to resolve many of their own legal issues.
- Masenze Strategic Advisors: Masenze Strategic Advisors provides convenient, relevant and affordable education and information with respect to awareness of basic socio-economic rights, to enable self-representation by the vulnerable and marginalised.
- Buyisa Soul and Spiritual Centre: Traditional Healers in the Alexandra township convene a mediation court. The innovation is to establish a centre, replicate, and provide additional access to justice.
- Portable Lawyer (Pty) Ltd: Allows for easy, affordable access to more than 30 critical contracts, realtime on demand legal support, digital signatures, contract management and data protection compliant.
- PhoenixCMS: Phoenix Case Management System is a digital platform that enhances justice organisations’ case intake, tracking, resolution of reported cases, multisectoral coordination and data analysis.
- IPassist-zw: IPassist-zw is a web-based platform that enables start-ups and SMEs to access effective and affordable intellectual property services from a pool of experts and lawyers.
The Johannesburg Innovating Justice Conference will be held at LeaderEx – Africa’s largest gathering of business leaders, professionals and entrepreneurs. This is a thrilling opportunity for justice innovations to be connected to these leaders — and for these leaders to get to know what’s happening in the world of justice innovation.
The pitching session will begin at 5pm, and members of the media, lawyers, technologists, social activist and others interested in justice innovation are invited to register here for an evening of pitching and networking. Registration is free, and includes entry to the rest of the Leaderex programme which starts at 10am on the same day.