I'm an accounting and law student at the University of Stellenbosch. I think one of the more basic problems experienced in trying to get a start-up going is it often begins as a one man show (and soon ends as a dead one man show) . It is easy for one man to come up with the idea, it is not so easy for that one man to execute the idea (esp. if tech knowledge and experience is lacking). 

I am that one man show at the moment. And the show is failing to entertain (there's a chance I might get tired of it soon too). What does the show need? It needs a techie. 

The route of outsourcing is great. However, without someone involved in the project, guiding the project from a tech perspective, it is doomed to fail.  

A general question exists here: how do we connect people with technical knowledge with people with smart ideas with people with capital? And how do we promote such connections?

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a definite challenge we have in the Silicon Cape -- a good start will be to attend the next Silicon Cape networking function, designed to help facilitate this. I believe it's currently destined to be held on the 31st March but watch this space!
You connect with technical people over a couple of beers. If the smart idea is truly compelling the technical person will connect himself with it. Connecting the former with people with deep pockets .... I haven't done that so can't advise on that one. ;-)

I have a couple of ideas myself, excellent technical knowledge & experience, but I'm looking for someone to share it with... hopefully I will meet this person at a SC networking event over a couple of beers. :-)
This raises the question, if we have many people in the Silicon Cape initiative with bright ideas and we have just as many technical people to execute the ideas, will the innovators share the ideas publicly?

I have a few ideas. Some of which are just brilliant, and I am willing to share it publicly with the community if someone can take the idea forward.

What I would like to see is for a new group to be created where people can share their ideas publicly (Members of the group only). These ideas can then be evaluated by our VC members and if found to be worth while, a new venture can be set up using the relevant skilled and experienced people.

This would then be the first truly open venture created by members of the initiative.
What is the use of a Silicon Cape initiative when everyone is to scared to share.
It sounds like an informal semi-structured meet up would help create these sort of connections. An informal setting with a relaxed "speed dating" type theme to encourage interactions. It could be somewhere between one of the official functions and a chat over a beer.

Any thoughts?
Roger

Been thinking the same thing. Seeing that we are a South African group, how about a quarterly braai?

I will be willing to provide fire and grid type stuff. But not sure about a nice venue. Any suggestions?
Everyone can wear stickers that say, 'idea', or 'tech' or 'finance' etc.. :)
Short answer: Hang out with the techies.

I studied computer science at UCT, but I've never been good enough to build what I wanted as fast as I wanted it done. Luckily, many of my friends were geniuses when it came to building software and some of them were available to help. Even now, years later, I still employ people from my original group of friends (or friends of theirs).

So basically, if you want to find engineers/coders, find out where they hang out. Go to some CLUG meetings, GeekDinners, LAN parties, RISK games, etc. If you're going to be running a tech business, it's not a bad idea to learn some basic programming skills yourself. Start using Linux and learn some Python.
Hi,

What you say is definitely true and a crises if I may call it that, when it comes to emerging tech that stimulates growth and the economy. I am new to Silicon Cape and must say they seem to have a great team and also offer excellent help and opinion.

I also see you might need some motivation, so maybe sharing my story makes sense.

People find your exact limitations, as mentioned above, as crippling to new Ideas and Start Ups they too are wanting to get out there.

I am also just a normal guy that has always had ideas and wanted to get them to work. My experience over the last decade was motivated by passion more than economic reasons.

I saw many opportunities present itself, however, rightly said, ideas can only succeed if the show is entertaining- and that is not easy unless you have the next best thing.

Technology Start Ups are kinda like a show in the entertainment industry. It has its own niche market and even if you write an excellent script you still need to cast the right Director, Crew, performers etc.
Everything in life, like with a start ups,needs some initial cash.

I also have a Start Up and also applied for funding to get it off the ground.
At this stage I have neither succeeded, nor failed... but, I had to come to a certain point where I had to stare the chance of failure and criticism right in the eye.
This is the breaking point in most entrepreneurial initiatives. Character, not ideas, are tested here. Mostly you will find people failing because they where not willing to stick to their game plan, (Chapters) and adjust the fine print ( Each Story of the chapter)

As you mentioned, I also had the issue of a one man show as most start ups start like that.

From my personal experience, it is difficult to get funding in SA.
We where fortunate to land great interest from a VC company in NY, this was supposedly our big break,however we couldn't capitalize on this opportunity due to lack of existing funds necessary to structure the legal criteria around selling shares in the US according to the Security exchange commission.
When it came to clinching the deal, we just couldn't. This, I can personally say was very disappointing and also a stumbling block very few Entrepreneurs get to jump across.

This however caused me, and my co founding investors to re think strategy. Like they always say in the magazines we so eagerly read... "Think outside the box" and create a niche market!!

I sat and faced a problem no one (except a few Crowd Sourcing companies across the web) have ever really tried to solve before. (Maybe its because I thought I have nothing to loose and also cause everyone's problems slightly vary although they come from the same roots.)

What I saw was about finding a solution to a age old problem. Getting ideas off the ground. This was to become my new problem, and hopefully on behalf of most dreamers I will soon solve it.
Soon to be Wiown.com I researched some models and concepts and created a self proclaimed "Social Reality" concept.

It basically combines Crowd Funding and Social Networking in a unique way to form a global profit sharing platform that was seemingly pointless and impossible previously... but with a bit of "Pressure makes Diamonds"grease I started the initiative and I am proud to say we are heading strong with it.

The aim I have with my story is not only to try and get dreams out there, but seriously admid defeat if at some stage you are not entirely taken seriously.
See , almost everything in life is consumer driven so you simply have to stick to the basics and then build from there on. This is most certainly possible without all the criteria we previously thought necessary.
My tip would be,
Don't give away too much of your company to external investors. Believe that you can make it work "El Solo"!
Get involved with people with passion, but be sure to be their leader, otherwise it might become a clash of the Titans as you develop new ideas and gain growth.
Offer a unique niche, something people will want to be part of. (Both clients and Developers of the product)
Make offers that, from the start, convince people that if you succeed- they succeed.

Dont take ideas in existence and copy them or adjust them, if you do make sure there is reason behind you method that people will again benefit from, otherwise no users will equal no income.
Allow your clients/members to feel they receive value from your product.This is vital as it will open lots of doors towards marketing and Social Media.

Above mentioned will also motivate them to engage more and also offer a reference towards your product or service. Then most of all, NEVER think small.
Believe in your capability more than your product as great people will turn bad ideas into gold. Magnetization is your main concern, otherwise your not an entrepreneur. Don't think ads are the only way to make money as the rest of the world believes.
Take advice from people, never see others as competition, rather as opportunity.

You are in the right place, asking the right question. Other people commenting here are far more inclined to get you set up than I am.

And finally, being an Entrepreneur is a journey, never a destination. Once you feel there is nothing more to do , stop at the side of the road and look at the map- ask questions and remember that even the most successful Entrepreneurs started exactly where you did, its the attitude they had that took them further.

God Bless, I hope you do well with whatever it is you are doing.

H
I can take a lot from what you have laid out. Thanks. God Bless

Hennie Eybers said:
Hi,

What you say is definitely true and a crises if I may call it that, when it comes to emerging tech that stimulates growth and the economy. I am new to Silicon Cape and must say they seem to have a great team and also offer excellent help and opinion.

I also see you might need some motivation, so maybe sharing my story makes sense.

People find your exact limitations, as mentioned above, as crippling to new Ideas and Start Ups they too are wanting to get out there.

I am also just a normal guy that has always had ideas and wanted to get them to work. My experience over the last decade was motivated by passion more than economic reasons.

I saw many opportunities present itself, however, rightly said, ideas can only succeed if the show is entertaining- and that is not easy unless you have the next best thing.

Technology Start Ups are kinda like a show in the entertainment industry. It has its own niche market and even if you write an excellent script you still need to cast the right Director, Crew, performers etc.
Everything in life, like with a start ups,needs some initial cash.

I also have a Start Up and also applied for funding to get it off the ground.
At this stage I have neither succeeded, nor failed... but, I had to come to a certain point where I had to stare the chance of failure and criticism right in the eye.
This is the breaking point in most entrepreneurial initiatives. Character, not ideas, are tested here. Mostly you will find people failing because they where not willing to stick to their game plan, (Chapters) and adjust the fine print ( Each Story of the chapter)

As you mentioned, I also had the issue of a one man show as most start ups start like that.

From my personal experience, it is difficult to get funding in SA.
We where fortunate to land great interest from a VC company in NY, this was supposedly our big break,however we couldn't capitalize on this opportunity due to lack of existing funds necessary to structure the legal criteria around selling shares in the US according to the Security exchange commission.
When it came to clinching the deal, we just couldn't. This, I can personally say was very disappointing and also a stumbling block very few Entrepreneurs get to jump across.

This however caused me, and my co founding investors to re think strategy. Like they always say in the magazines we so eagerly read... "Think outside the box" and create a niche market!!

I sat and faced a problem no one (except a few Crowd Sourcing companies across the web) have ever really tried to solve before. (Maybe its because I thought I have nothing to loose and also cause everyone's problems slightly vary although they come from the same roots.)

What I saw was about finding a solution to a age old problem. Getting ideas off the ground. This was to become my new problem, and hopefully on behalf of most dreamers I will soon solve it.
Soon to be Wiown.com I researched some models and concepts and created a self proclaimed "Social Reality" concept.

It basically combines Crowd Funding and Social Networking in a unique way to form a global profit sharing platform that was seemingly pointless and impossible previously... but with a bit of "Pressure makes Diamonds"grease I started the initiative and I am proud to say we are heading strong with it.

The aim I have with my story is not only to try and get dreams out there, but seriously admid defeat if at some stage you are not entirely taken seriously.
See , almost everything in life is consumer driven so you simply have to stick to the basics and then build from there on. This is most certainly possible without all the criteria we previously thought necessary.
My tip would be,
Don't give away too much of your company to external investors. Believe that you can make it work "El Solo"!
Get involved with people with passion, but be sure to be their leader, otherwise it might become a clash of the Titans as you develop new ideas and gain growth.
Offer a unique niche, something people will want to be part of. (Both clients and Developers of the product)
Make offers that, from the start, convince people that if you succeed- they succeed.

Dont take ideas in existence and copy them or adjust them, if you do make sure there is reason behind you method that people will again benefit from, otherwise no users will equal no income.
Allow your clients/members to feel they receive value from your product.This is vital as it will open lots of doors towards marketing and Social Media.

Above mentioned will also motivate them to engage more and also offer a reference towards your product or service. Then most of all, NEVER think small.
Believe in your capability more than your product as great people will turn bad ideas into gold. Magnetization is your main concern, otherwise your not an entrepreneur. Don't think ads are the only way to make money as the rest of the world believes.
Take advice from people, never see others as competition, rather as opportunity.

You are in the right place, asking the right question. Other people commenting here are far more inclined to get you set up than I am.

And finally, being an Entrepreneur is a journey, never a destination. Once you feel there is nothing more to do , stop at the side of the road and look at the map- ask questions and remember that even the most successful Entrepreneurs started exactly where you did, its the attitude they had that took them further.

God Bless, I hope you do well with whatever it is you are doing.

H

RSS

Sponsors

Contact us to put your logo here...

Spread the word

© 2014   Created by Roger Norton.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service