We see people discussing Silicon Cape, challenges and more, knowing very little (if any) about each other's startup.

Use this opportunity to introduce your Startup, where it's based, what phase it is in and how things are coming along.

Views: 438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello all

Our new business concept was formed within the last 6 months, have invested good money in a website and have started seeing people about our service that we are offering. Our start up is essentially a free service involving the school going community, dealing with the supply of second hand school items on-line. We seem to have hit a nerve here especially with regards to text books, in these tougher economic times where families are struggling to provide the bare essential for education, schools are being asked to provide a facility of sorts to deal with this problem. We are now taking this problem off their hands.
We have been out into the school community now and are on the edge of a huge project and have had a far better reception to our idea and alot quicker than we had anticipated.

We are looking to talk to someone that has good project management skills, that could advise us on how not to loose sight of return on investment . We need to talk to someone that can give us some good input on our advertising opportunites that we can provide via our site. Thanks !
www.theschoolshop.co.za
Okay, so I have re-read my own post and realise I forgot to add that, yes indeed, there are other aspects to this project where income is generated, from membership and sales from higher priced items, other than text books.

Nicky Panton said:
Hello all

Our new business concept was formed within the last 6 months, have invested good money in a website and have started seeing people about our service that we are offering. Our start up is essentially a free service involving the school going community, dealing with the supply of second hand school items on-line. We seem to have hit a nerve here especially with regards to text books, in these tougher economic times where families are struggling to provide the bare essential for education, schools are being asked to provide a facility of sorts to deal with this problem. We are now taking this problem off their hands.
We have been out into the school community now and are on the edge of a huge project and have had a far better reception to our idea and alot quicker than we had anticipated.

We are looking to talk to someone that has good project management skills, that could advise us on how not to loose sight of return on investment . We need to talk to someone that can give us some good input on our advertising opportunites that we can provide via our site. Thanks !
www.theschoolshop.co.za
Hi

I would like to show you the project that we have launched. Some schools are going to link parents to our site via their internal social networking sites. Might be worth talking about.
Nicky Panton
www.theschoolshop.co.za

Barbara Mallinson said:
Hi there,

I'm the founder of Obami - a "social networking site" that's been built specifically for schools. It's a closed environment, where only registered schools can join the community.

Obami is not only an academically orientated site - it covers all aspects of school life... like sharing school news, keeping track of sports fixtures and exam timetables, assigning/submitting homework, uploading/sourcing study notes, discussing a video of the science experiment or from Saturday's rugby match, and so on. Basically, Obami provides a place for communication and collaboration to take place between and amongst pupils, teachers and parents.

The site is currently being integrated at a number of independent schools across South Africa. I’ve found that, while there is huge demand for this product, change management within some of the schools is a challenge... nothing a bit of blood, sweat and tears (and funding) won’t solve though, hey?!

All in all, it’s a very exciting time.
Hi Silicon Capies

Our start up is called Virtucall, we are South Africa’s alternative voice provider, offering Voice over Internet Protocol solutions to the corporate market. Our Broadband Phone Service uses Voice over Internet Protocol technology to allow users to make telephone calls over a broadband internet connection. By transmitting telephone calls over broadband internet connection, we can offer competitive low call rates and enhanced features and capabilities, effectively reducing communications spend.

With our in-house developing capability we have range of products for the Call Centre industry, ranging from affordable Call Centre Management Software, Call Centre dedicated Billing platform and international calling platform.

Our national cellular rate are the most competitive in the industry because we are small. With us you can pay as low as 90 cents per minute per second billing.

We are now looking at expanding to African countries offering wireless internet and Voice services to business and communities.

Hi All

I am involved in a startup (probably) called The Borg Production Studios.
We are a couple of companies in related fields partnering with each other to be able to tackle larger film industry projects. We have skills in DI, Effects, Animatronics, Prosthetics, Grading, Conforming and many more. (www.cfx.co.za)

My company, Solutec (www.solutec.co.za) provides custom made workstations, servers and clusters to the film, graphics and scientific industries. Also other related fields of Audio and Illumination engineering.

I currently am selling my demo machine at a massive discount (less R100k) to be able to build the next generation machine. We have been doing composites with up to 16 layers of 4K on the current machine.
Hi Craig,

I was on www.cfx.co.za a few min ago and man the things you guys do rock! As a youngster I always wanted to be involved in movie making/sets as I worked on a couple of international movie sets here in Cape Town with MXFX... amazing experience.

So in short, really admire the work you guys do. Welcome to the Silicon Cape Community... wish www.solutec.co.za all the best.

Regards,
JP van der Spuy

Craig Blanckenberg said:
Hi All

I am involved in a startup (probably) called The Borg Production Studios.
We are a couple of companies in related fields partnering with each other to be able to tackle larger film industry projects. We have skills in DI, Effects, Animatronics, Prosthetics, Grading, Conforming and many more. (www.cfx.co.za)

My company, Solutec (www.solutec.co.za) provides custom made workstations, servers and clusters to the film, graphics and scientific industries. Also other related fields of Audio and Illumination engineering.

I currently am selling my demo machine at a massive discount (less R100k) to be able to build the next generation machine. We have been doing composites with up to 16 layers of 4K on the current machine.
Hello everybody

Danie Du Toit, Danie Du Toit (Snr) and I have started http://softx.co.za on July 2007. Its a software development company. We have developed a great RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool that works with Ms Excel and any database.

Using this tool (xPerTx) you can easily develop business application within a very short time. This tool is going to rock the Ms Excel market (170 million people are using Ms Excel) and software development industry (8 million software development industry). For a typical software project a typical development environment (C#, web, VB6 etc) takes at least 3 months. Using our tool you can finish that product within 7+ days. We developed quite a few application for some customers such as Paarl Media (http://www.paarlmedia.co.za/) , Paarl Coldset (http://www.paarlmedia.co.za/paarl-coldset/welcome/index.html).

You can freely download this product from our web site (http://softx.co.za).

Currently we are looking for an investor.

All the best to you all.
Hi to everyone at Silicon Cape. I currently own a telecommunications startup, doing business in Africa, India and UAE. LiveCast - www.livecastvideo.net

Our current focus is twofold:

1. Vidyo Telepresence:

LiveCast distributes and deploys an IP-based video conferencing product, Vidyo Personal Telepresence. The product is completely scalable, clients can use it on a laptop with a webcam or in a boardroom with High Definition cameras. The video encoding architecture of the product makes it resilient to packet loss up to 25%, which makes video a particularly good product for the African market since it can be used over regular broadband - which is a first in the video conferencing industry. Seacom has provided a sizable opportunity as markets in Africa are now open to us. Although end-user access is via a web portal, the solution is supported by back-end hardware which provides commercial grade telepresence to our clients.

Our clients include large enterprise as well as SME's, the solution is completely scalable - and because we work off a licensing model the investment cost to the client is approximately 80 - 90% cheaper than our competitors. There is no other product on the market that can compete with Vidyo's ease of use, cost effective deployment and quality of video conference. With King III coming into effect in March 2010 we are well equipped to help business in Africa reduce their overheads and become more sustainable.

2. MobiFlo

Our second focus is a mobile and static VOIP platform for business. MobiFlo allows businesses to make phonecalls from either a mobile phone using 3G or a landline using broadband - with clarity and reliability. MobiFlo was developed in Finland by an exceptionally strong team, and we are proud to say that it works on a commercial scale. The benefit for business - calls between staff, whether they are in the office or not - can now be free. Phonecalls to landlines, mobile phones and conference calls using MobiFlo save businesses approximately 40% on phone bills. Furthermore MobiFlo has an airtime/credit management system for business so that you are able to manage/allocate and top up call usage of your staff.

For more info visit the website: www.livecastvideo.net

We deploy, resell, and support globally. LiveCast is looking for IT resellers, telecomms, government and other partners to expand our service offering.
Hi Everyone,

I recently launched Acuity Consultants, an IT & Finance Recruitment Consultancy based here in Cape Town. One of my main reasons for starting the business was due to the the pretty poor service I received when dealing with recruiters here while I was looking for a job.

At present our clients include systems vendors, IT consultancies, asset management firms, web development shops and mobile commerce solutions firms.

For more information on the company please visit www.acuityconsultants.co.za

If you need assistance finding staff for your startup or are looking for a temporary or permanent assignment please contact me on the following:

Tel: 021 409 7037
email: alex@acuityconsultants.co.za

Contracts are evil. Flickswitch provides technology services in the GSM and telecommunications industry. Our SIMcontrol service is the best way to manage your 3G data use. It gives you complete control over a pre-paid data SIM's with customised recharge rules and online reports.
NO contracts, NO abuse, NO hassle, NO brainer. If you're not managing your company's 3G use properly, contact us.

www.flickswitch.co.za
Hey.

I'm currently in the process of moving a hobby web project into "start-up" mode. It has very unique challenges considering it is a mashup.

Tweekly.fm is a simple web service that pulls your last.fm music data and sends a weekly tweet listing your top 3 artists.

It has grown tremendously fast, and I can't contain the growth anymore.

I'm a full-time student, so after my exams, I'm going to be using the holiday to move Tweekly.fm onto a new server that can handle the traffic, optimise the code, get advertisters on board, etc.

It is going to be an interesting learning experience. Going to have to do research on which direction I'll have to take it.
You're obviously doing something right with 13K+ users....

If I was a VC I'd be interested in your start-up.

Simon de la Rouviere said:
Hey.

I'm currently in the process of moving a hobby web project into "start-up" mode. It has very unique challenges considering it is a mashup.

Tweekly.fm is a simple web service that pulls your last.fm music data and sends a weekly tweet listing your top 3 artists.

It has grown tremendously fast, and I can't contain the growth anymore.

I'm a full-time student, so after my exams, I'm going to be using the holiday to move Tweekly.fm onto a new server that can handle the traffic, optimise the code, get advertisters on board, etc.

It is going to be an interesting learning experience. Going to have to do research on which direction I'll have to take it.

RSS

Sponsors

Contact us to put your logo here...

Spread the word

© 2014   Created by Roger Norton.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service